Twinkle VOIP Client

From my antecedent column you will see that I accept approved application Skype for VOIP buzz calls but I got a bit fed up with Skype for a cardinal of affidavit so I accept now unsubscribed from it.

Skype is probabaly one of the best accepted names that bodies accessory with VOIP but I’m not so agog on actuality bound into a “closed” arrangement area you accept to use Skype software rather than a accustomed VOIP client.    Additionally I don’t like the way that Skype force you to pay for calls afore you accept absolutely fabricated them!    They additionally allegation absolutely a lot for the for an entering buzz cardinal to accept voip calls on (about £3 per month).

Luckily my own ISP accept a VOIP annual http://call.me.uk/ which alone allegation £1 per ages for a buzz cardinal which is absolutely a bit beneath than Skype and I afresh aloof pay for calls absolutely fabricated at the end of anniversary month.   I accept now got an 03333 STD cipher rather than a “boring” 01823 Taunton STD cipher – an advantage with an 03 prefix is that it is not affiliated to any specific geographic UK location, and costs absolutely the aforementioned bulk to alarm as a approved 01 or 02 landline number.

They additionally advertise “voip accouterments phones” like the Snom 300, but I’m not absolutely a “power user” of phones so I anticipation I’d go for a software VOIP band-aid rather than a accouterments buzz for the time being.

There a a cardinal of software phones (“Softphones”) and I approved out a few of them.   Aboriginal I approved Ekiga, but this did not assume to run at all on Ubuntu Intrepid so I gave up on it and approved Linphone, which I got alive but it seemed actual basic.   By far the best VOIP software I accept approved so far has been Twinkle which has endless of accessible appearance and will run accurately minimised on the assignment bar.  Installing it is actual simple via the “add/remove” menu.

Once you accept abounding in your SIP annual capacity (username, area countersign & realm) you are appealing abundant set to accomplish and recieve VOIP calls.
screenshot-1

These ambience assume to accord acceptable complete quality

It took a bit of balloon & absurdity to get my audio settings aloof right, and at aboriginal the complete did not complete actual good, but I accept now got it so that its aloof as acceptable as application any approved non-voip phone.

This shows how I accept entered the “Sound Card”  settings.  I approved some of the added settings aboriginal but I seemed to get poor complete quality.
screenshot-2

Be alert - there is a bug in the ascribe antecedent selector

Another affair to be alert of is that there seems to be a annihilate in the Alsa mixer settings.    The ascribe antecedent needs to be set to “Mic”, but alike admitting its says “Mic” it does not assume to save this ambience and the alone way to get the ambience to annals is to set it so soething abroad and afresh set it aback to “Mic” again.

The way to analysis this is to alarm an “echo service” which actually echoes annihilation you say aback to you with about a bisected additional delay.   My favourite answer analysis is:

sip:enum-echo-test@sip.nemox.net
as there is no annoying pre-amble and the answer analysis starts appealing abundant beeline away.

The Alsa Mixer ascendancy has a “Recording” Tab, and as you can see I accept got this set as low as accessible which I acquisition gives best complete quality.

The acceptable affair about the answer analysis is you can abuse the settings in absolute time to get the optimum complete affection over the microphone.
Get widget

VoIP

VoIP